One of the most common issues people have with Appen is that they are unable to qualify for projects, even after trying for a long time. I do find this issue to be legitimate, as the whole process from qualification to onboarding can take months sometimes. It becomes increasingly frustrating for someone who has just joined Appen, and is just looking to work on a Project.
Today, I am going to show you a trick that will unlock several new Appen Projects for you. The new projects will be available for you to right away (or in some cases, on the next day) and can increase your chances of getting qualified for an Appen Project.
How to unlock more Projects in Appen Connect?
To get access to more projects in Appen, follow the steps listed below:
- Log in to your Appen Dashboard. Then, click on the “All Projects” Tab.
- Right below the “All Projects” tab, you will see a link called “My Languages”. Click on it.
- There, you will see a list of languages that you have added to your profile, along with two green buttons that will allow you to add more languages and translation pairs.
- Add more languages to your profile. For example, I have added three variants for the English language: English (India), English (UK) and English (US).
- Also add several regional languages (like Marathi, Punjabi, Bengali) that you are comfortable with. This is important because Appen has several projects available for Regional Dialects, and they have much less competition than other projects.
- Lastly, if you are interested in Translation Projects, you can add several Translation pairs. You need to be fluent in both the languages to translate effectively.
After you have successfully made all the changes above, go to All Projects and click on the “All Projects” radio button. Most likely, you will be able to see some new projects that are available to qualify (mostly related to regional languages).
If you do not see any new projects, check back again the next day. Sometimes, the changes take time to propagate. There are good chances that you will get at least one or two new projects by the next day.
How and why does this work?
Language is one of the chief filtering processes for applicants used by Appen and most of the crowdsourcing websites. So, the languages you have added in your profile greatly affect the opportunities available to you. This is why you should make sure that you have added all the languages you are comfortable with in your profile.
One interesting thing to note here is how many sites have several versions of the English Language (eg, English – India, US, UK, etc.) Even though there is hardly any difference between these languages, they can severely dictate the no. of opportunities available to you.
For example, if you have only English (India) in your profile, but a project comes in with English (UK) as a requirement, chances are that it won’t be available to you. Though Appen does not show this ambiguity, in particular, some sites such as Neevo have this problem.